Sunday, September 2, 2012

Picnic by the Creek

   Saturday, Kim and I picked up a sub at the pizza parlor and headed off for some late evening dry fly action. When we reached our destination it was nearing 4:00 pm. We found a clearing where we spread out a blanket and enjoyed some unexpected company. A variety of insects, mosquitoes, ants, yellow jackets and many other green flying and jumping things too numerous to count were joining us for supper.

After a quick picnic, we geared up and headed for the creek. We were fishing only a few minutes when two white tail deer moved out of the thicket and down to the waters edge to feed on the lush vegetation along the stream bank.
    I thought for sure our fishing would yield more than our last outing. But this is the toughest creek to catch any trout in and around our entire area. You guessed it, We were wading into Spring Creek. I was surprised when we got there at the amount of vegetation and  the minimal amount of trout that were visible. But I was not deterred from my goal. My goal was to get Kim into dry fly casting and before too long she was casting to rises down stream from me on the flats. She was doing quite well without my instruction and I could see her size 20 mosquito skimming slowly across the still flat surface of the evening sky reflection. Trout were rising all around her fly but none would take it. I was casting to a trout under the edge of a small stick and even with great drifts I only could manage one hit. Which was effectively missed.

     But the evening was enjoyable and Kim's casting practice was not wasted time. Our thinking has always been, if you want to catch fish you need to put in your time on the stream. I can't wait until Monday when the holiday will afford me another opportunity to fish.
     On the way home as we headed east we watched the full moon rising in all it's splendor. It is the second full moon of August which makes it a blue moon. Kind-o'-sort of the way I catch fish, once in a blue moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment