Monday, June 16, 2014

2014 in review

   Wow, It's been a whole year since I documented anything of importance.  Looking back to 2013, I realized it was my worst fishing and blogging year thus far. Keeping an account of what fish I caught is important because it helps develop schedule for where and when I fish. So In the months of January and February I try to fish the tributaries of Lake Ontario that are not frozen solid. This past January 2014, I only fished once and landed an 20 inch steelhead. February through March I may have managed to fish a couple of times. It wasn't until April that I really got back into fly fishing the inland trout streams. I thought I'd concentrate on Naples creek but the steelhead were slow to arrive this year and only saw a few taken that first week. Fishing three days straight gave me a sense of how much I lost the knack of drifting eggs. I heard rumors of more fish being caught when I was not able to go, but that's typical of fishing reports.

   The first week of May finds me in the spillways of the barge canal. I change my fishing tactics for the influx of spawning Walleye and Pike which come in with the filling of the canal.

I leave my fly rod in the truck (which by the way was purchased in January) and sport the spinning rod and plugs. No luck again for me. Kim went with me (bless her heart) and she caught a small mouth bass and a few white perch and rock bass. A good day of fun.

   June is here and started with a the idea of boating for walleye. As it turned out my boat is still not registered and I went wading in Scottsville to fish for walleye. Much too late in the season. Ended up getting a few mosquito bites. My friend Denny went with me and caught a brown trout. Later that day I returned to the water. Only this time in Canandaigua Lake to try out some new Linsey rigging with minnows. I waded from shore and hooked up with yellow perch, large sunfish and rock bass.

So now you're thinking, is this really the type of fishing I want to read about? No.... It's only a recap of what my past year has been like. In the next two blogs about June 2014, I will tell the story of how I caught an 18.5 inch wild brown trout in the East Koy creek. And another tale of guiding my older brother Marvin to his first hit of rainbow trout on the fly.

More to follow....

No comments:

Post a Comment