Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Opening Day for trout 2015

There is something exhilarating about spring run off in the cooler months of March and April.
I remember as a kid my parents home had a long curved driveway that ran down the side of a hill. And as the snow and ice would melt the downspouts would flood the cellar door entrance. So my concern was to engineer a way to divert the run off. Water trickled by way of a 2" wide crevasse, into a larger drainage ditch, until it flowed freely down the side of the driveway. I took steps to be careful not to let it over flow across the gravel driveway by trimming the ditch with a spade. Until finally it met the culvert at the foot of the hill.

I think every young boy has splashed in a puddle in rain soaked hat and boots. If he has not then take the PS2 away from him and send him out in the rain to experience spring runoff. That way when he is older he'll enjoy standing in a stream in rain soaked hat and vest landing mega trout like this one.




  Monday was above freezing even though we did get some snow flurrys. The ice has now left the rivers. I went to  Webster park and the waves on Lake Ontario were pushing big chunks of ice onto the shore. I did find one rainbow trout in a small creek but could not get it to hit my fly. After about three hours of fishing, I left there and went to Penfield. There the water was high and cloudy with spring run off. I spotted 6 steelhead trout in the rapids and began to cast. Before long I had one hookup. My first of this spring spit the fly and fled downstream. I tried for another fish. A couple of casts and then hooked this 28" 7lb. Steelhead trout.  I had a great day! I fished for 6 hours and only caught one total.
 Unless I catch and release, one steelhead is the limit. Today April 1st is opening day for trout for inland streams. I have to work. So I plan to head for the Catskills this weekend for
more fishing.

1 comment:

  1. Wow!!! Great steelhead Bob.....wish I could have been there for that....well done!
    It looks like the time is now to get out there and get into some fresh steelhead.......I only wish I could get out there.

    ReplyDelete