Tuesday, August 18, 2015

East Koy Creek

 
There isn't much to tell about the fishing in East Koy. It's a beautiful quiet stream, that has a few bends and deadfalls that hold fish. I found it last year to be thrilling, so I went again this year to have the same experience. I spent the good part of Saturday morning walking along the banks of the lower East Koy Creek.

When I arrived at the foot path the sun was already up for about an hour. The day seemed to promise good weather even though partial cloud cover was expected. I took time to read the regulations kindly posted for my benefit.

I selected an artificial yellow stone fly lure, a size 14 long shank hook. It was about an inch long and weighted. I tied 3 feet of fresh - 3 lb tippet on my leader and secured the stone fly to it.




When I reached the stream I recognized the fishing spot where I had caught a fine trout the year before. With my first cast it fell perfectly into the foaming hole. At that moment the line tugged violently. I set the hook and it snapped the tippet in half leaving 18 inches of my 3 foot tippet.
I never did see the fish under the foam and tried without luck to persuade another fish from the hole. Then moved on knowing I would exit the creek at that spot.

My hopes were high, thinking every hole would yield a large trout. As it turned out the only fish in hand was a small brown.

Several other browns hit my fly and even one broke the water. One was on for several exciting seconds, but they all spit the hooks. They are after all considered sport fish.

When it became clear I was nearing the end of my allotted fishing time. I began taking photos of the creek bed and all it's glory.



I am thankful for the DEC and the work they are doing along this creek fighting the invasive Hogweed plants. Remnants of Hogweed kills are on the islands of this creek bed. Still more plants are rising up so be careful not to touch them.

(The giant hogweed reaches up to 12 feet tall with flowers as big as umbrellas - but it's also dangerous. It's sap can cause third degree burns and blindness. This plant is spreading across the state at an alarming rate. Officials have found 944 sites in New York. The Department of Environmental Conservation has a Hogweed Hotline (845-256-3111) for New Yorkers to call in sightings of the invasive species. Callers are asked to take photos and report site information, but should avoid touching the plant. )*

* credit HUFF POST Aug 18th 2015

1 comment:

  1. A great read as always Bob. Thanks for sharing....the photos as well....excellent!!

    ReplyDelete