Friday, October 9, 2009

First Salmon of the Fall season



I took off work today and went to Sandy Creek at Rt 19 bridge. I got there about 7:30 and right away I saw four salmon moving upstream. I followed them to a slow section, where they seamed to settle in to rest. I cast to one of them and hooked up right away but I was using 6 pound test and broke off. This happen seven times before I changed my leader to 12 pound test. By this time they had moved upstream.

I only saw one fisherman leaving the stream around 8:00. I was the only one on the stream all day. Maybe because it was windy and raining.

I finally hooked one and fought it for a good 15 minutes. It was 34 inches long. I put it on a rope and right after that I caught another one at 33 inches. I did not weigh these two fresh females full of eggs. I decided to leave at noon. On my way downstream, I landed another female at 35 inches. It was foul hooked on the front fin so I let it go. I saw small males and one monster male.

By 1:00, I had seen two pods of four salmon each and about 6 other fish, plus two still coming up as I was leaving, totaling 16 in all . I hooked up a dozen times or more with 8 or 9 really good fights. I landed three and released one. and I even hooked a small brown about 6 inches.
My legs are tired. and I hope to go again Saturday with Kim.

When I got home, I took pictures on my tailgate. I cleaned and froze the two salmon. I grilled some for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment