Thursday, April 1, 2010

Opening Day of Trout


April 1st traditionally marks the start of the trout season in the Finger Lakes. We who brave the elements have already caught our fair share of fish in 2010. But "Opening Day of Trout" still is a good excuse for some time off from work. I had planned to go to Avoca even before signing up for trout stocking. (see pevious blog). Having fished low waters of the Cohocton last summer, I determined then to spy it out during the early spring.

My plan was that while most fishermen would head for the Naples Trout Derby, I would fish in Avoca before sunrise and go in to work by noon. This morning, about 6:00 am, I drove through Naples. The streets and creeks and back allies were already filled with waders and spinning rods. I did not stop, was certain of, and proceeded to my destination in Avoca. About sunrise I pulled into the parking area where I'd been one day earlier. Not a fisherman in sight!


I wanted to explore a section of creek I had never walked. This may have been a mistake because I walked more than I landed fish. But I do enjoy just being out. Catching is not the most important part of the game. Sort of like playing hockey and not scoring a goal. It's still invigorating.

The air was biting crisp. Frost lay on the ground waiting for the suns rays to hinder it. The burdock stickies sparkled like sugar candy. Soon the fog would lift off the stream and reveal its hidden secrets.

While casting to the first large pool of the morning I noticed a beaver though the fog. He paddled against the current, along the far edge of the stream. The first dabs of sunlight cast shadows on the shore above him. Silently he would disappear beneath the surface and reappear in front of a wake created by his tail.




Sometimes
it really is fun to score a goal!


...one in the net.
Prince, water temp 42, 12 inch, 5x











What I planned all along.


About 11:30 I passed through Naples again. The creek there was teaming with about 500 hardy boys still after the illusive rainbow trout.


To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Bob! Keep them coming! And I love the photo!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, scoring a goal is always good even if the game is fun without it.

    Nice fish!

    ReplyDelete