Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Five Streams in Five Days

Well, it's been a week since my last post. What have I been doing you ask. What else.... Fishing!

Did you ever binge fish? That's what I like to do on my vacation. I took the week off to relax, but I can really get bushed traveling to my favorite places.

To bad the weather turned sour Friday. I got a late start leaving from Bloomfield. Arrived in Roscoe at 2:00 and found a motel right on the Beaver kill. A fisherman was there who filled me in on the motel, also the local events happening this weekend. He had already caught five trout that were just stocked that morning. I unloaded my stuff and was in the stream by 3:00. The temp was about 44 and the water temp around 48. The wind made it difficult to fish dry flies. Junction pool seemed to be the place everyone was coming to.

I fished until dusk, learning a new section of this stream. I only saw two fish landed. So where did the 160 stockies go? A local hatchery stocked the 16 inch browns.

Saturday I was at it again at 6:00 AM. Entering the Willowmoc was cold and the snow was falling for a spell. The wind had gotten worse. I managed steady fishing till 11:00 AM. I only saw one angler pull four or five out. There were plenty of lines in the water. I packed in my gear and drove to the no kill area hoping to even see something. But all I saw were hundreds of thousands of caddisfly larvae cases and stonefly nymphs doing summersaults over top of the caddis. I fished till 11:00 without a hookup. Did not fish the evening.

Sunday I returned to the Beaver kill for an hour and tried a new spot. No Luck! Then spent the day with my new grand daughters. In the afternoon I traveled back home, not knowing why fly fishing had failed to produce fish. I had developed a toothache.

Monday I went to the dentist to stop the pain. So I got a late start again getting to my next stream. I traveled to Siho, NY, hometown of Jason L. Dunham Medal of Honor recipient.

http://ourmilitaryheroes.defense.gov/profiles/dunhamJ.html

http://www.jasonsmemorial.org/about.html

"sometimes toothaches seem very minor in comparison to what others go through."

I fished the Genesee River south of Belmont for about two hours and saw fish rising to a caddisfly hatch. I caught my first brown of the week. A 14 inch on a #10 black stonefly in fast moving water. I left there to go to my cabin in the woods. There is great satisfaction knowing my favorite spot in the southern tier is dependable.

Tuesday, this morning, I got to the Genesee River about 7:00 AM. I started a little further upstream from where I was Monday. I fished nymphs and woolly buggers. I landed two more nice 14 inch browns. These were all stocked fish. From there I went to my afternoon spot which I thought would be a heavy producer. But instead I had to really work the Ischua Creek in Franklinville. I ended up walking a good mile of creek and hooked two fish on wet flys. I was surprised... the creek seamed as if it were barren. I left the Ischua at 6:00. On the way home I stopped at Wiscoy Creek in Pike. Just before dark I landed the best wild brown of the week. 10 inches, casting to a rise, #12 henrickson wet fly.

Wednesday I hope to get some rainbows out of Sandy Creek before I go back to work. I saw a lot of water, and plenty of wildlife and insect hatches. That's what I did on my spring vacation.


3 comments:

  1. Bob - First of all I love the "binge fishing" reference....really funny!!! And second - You really have taken quite the tour of some of New York's finest streams. Someday I hope to join you for another go round!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like an awesome time! good luck on the water today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mike. I blew off sandy and went to see the oral surgeon. Later I hit the Oatka for a few hours.

    ReplyDelete