Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Practice Stream


Yesterday, I took my wife out fishing for the afternoon. Kim has not donned the waders for a while. And I thought she needed some practice casting before the fall trout runs start up. I took her to a stream near my home which provides various types of water where different techniques can be applied.

We started with a simple small pool casting downstream with over hanging branches. She practiced keeping the fly rod at waist level and parallel with the water to get under the low branches. She was using a strike indicator and golden stonefly nymph.


Kim's first cast was taken by a small creek chub, and after a few more cast she hooked a small mouth bass. I was glad to see that her fishing had not suffered over the past few months. She worked the fly line like a pro. And as we moved to areas of riffles and shallow runs it was apparent that she knew how to catch and release fish. 

I fished a little drop off at the top of a run and Kim fished the back water in the tail out of the same. Kim had switched over to a dry fly sulphur parachute and was getting hits in calm water. While I was getting crazy with creek chub. I saw a large black bass darting for cover as my line drifted through the run. A few more casts and I got a fat creek chub twisting and turning on my tippet. Then from under the cover of sticks came a shadow that latched on to my chub. It was the black bass hitting on my helpless bait fish. The predator came into shallow water and thrashed about several times. I could see the determination of the bass trying to swallow the chub. But without a larger hook, my line would pull out of his mouth. I retrieved my line and we set off for home.  All the fish were only summer fingerlings, but it gave me a story for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment