Thursday, August 9, 2012

Summer Nights

The best thing about the Summer of 2012 is that there is still water in our drought stricken streams.

I'm going to try again to blog some new stories this fall about our favorite sport.
And that's another thing I want to blog about. Why is fly fishing not an olympic sport?

But first I've got to tell you about Summer Night Fishing. If you have not tried fishing after dark than you must put it on your bucket list. This was something I had always wanted to try but never took the time. Sure I had fished evenings and into the twilight hours after sunset. I've been there catching that last glimpse of light hitting the water above of a rising trout. I've waded back across a stream as a thin fog lifts towards the night sky. But this was my first time fly fishing, as it were, starting after dark and catching fish until midnight.

And I mean first time fly fishing...
I went last week and found night time fishing for trout heightens your awareness of fly fishing.  All the things you do while fishing become new to you again. When I got on the stream it was about 9:20 PM. The night sky was already showing stars. The half moon of August had not risen yet. My first mistake was thinking that I could easily tie on a tippet and fly when I reached the stream. So I had an old leader with a wool yarn strike indicator and fly on my line from the last time I had been out. I was not quite ready to go, but was so anxious that I cast it anyway. My first cast was ten feet off my rod tip and something slammed my indicator. My second cast bore the same result. So I stepped back out of the stream and retied a new leader without the strike indicator. I tied on a floating muddler minnow that I had created earlier in the day.

The next few casts were difficult to get use too because it was like casting into the wind. Only instead of wind it was an endless wall of darkness. Not knowing where the fly was landing did make setting the hook more difficult. Finally I caught this nice brown trout.




Get the whole story at JP Ross Site.

http://www.jprossflyrods.com/staff/fishing_log/entry.php?id=1195?blog=17&id=1195

1 comment:

  1. What a great evening of fishing and fellowship. I was a little surprised at how close those fish were to the bank.....and how violent some of the strikes were. Or maybe that was just due to the darkness!

    ReplyDelete