Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Boating on Canandaigua Lake


Well it's July now and fly fishing has been little to nothing this month. My usual summer trip to the southern tier has not happened yet. A trip to the Genesee River source would make this summer memorable. 
There are good size trout residing in the backwoods. Where a campfire and buttered fish bring satisfaction to the end of an all day walk in the stream. 

But until then I have any number of Finger lakes to put my sixteen foot aluminum motor boat into. Last week I did manage to get out for my first trial boating of the year.
The task of getting the boat registered was easy. Then the trailer inspection failed, Ordering and replacing the tail light, inspecting the trailer again made it more complicated. The task of gathering all the paraphernalia for the outing such as the life jackets, two oars, an anchor. bow and stern ropes and lights needed to be removed from the garage attic. Finding my trolling motor and charging the marine battery overnight in the rain was not too stressful. My biggest worry was getting ready the outboard motor, which I had not started in over two years. I needed to go and purchase gas, two cycle engine oil, and gear lube which was about the cost of a box of fly line. Not to forget the tackle box and fishing rod were put neatly in the truck box. Now I was ready to go to the lake. 

Arriving at the boat launch, I had to pay the state another seven dollars to get into the water. Although it was nice to have use of the clean toilet before getting into the boat. I placed all the gear from the truck into the boat and unstrapped the tie downs just as it began to rain. Kim and I sat in the truck until the thunderstorm cleared and then launched the boat. We rowed away from the docks and up the channel until I could get the motor ready. It began to pour once more and we rowed under a willow tree where soaking wet I managed to start the 9.5 horses. After it sputtered a few times It started right up and we were on our way to meet up with some kayaker friends. The skies stopped raining and we had taken on some water from the rain, but we continued out to sea. Traveled across the lake and met up with our friends who were not really trilled with the weather. In the short time we visited, I realized that the water in the boat was coming not from the sky but a pinhole in the aluminum bottom. My test run was just about complete now. I had managed to get my wife out in the boat soaking wet. I completed all the required emergency preparations including pumping out the water. I managed to get the boat launched and the motor started. So as the thunder clouds moved in again we concluded our boating experience without any fishing at any point in the trip. 


So to all you charter fishermen, I want to thank you for the effort you take to give us stream fishermen the lake boating experience with out the headache. My thoughts on the way home were mostly of how fly fishing is so easily managed. You grab your waders to keep your legs and feet dry in any weather. You don your vest, a rod and box of flies. And you are ready to catch free fish in any number of unrestricted New York state streams or lakes.   Fly fishing! What else is there.

No comments:

Post a Comment