Thursday, July 19, 2018

The last week of June

That's Marvin in the background with his new
White river flyrod from Bass Pro shop

In late June, I was able to fish a couple of days with my brothers. Wednesday was pouring rain for most of the day. I spent the morning trying to fish for bass on Sodus Bay with my outboard motor boat. It was raining when we got started and the wind was really churning up the surface. So we stopped at one of the inlets to the bay and fly fished using poppers. Other than just practicing in the wind, this proved unproductive.

When we finally got the boat in the water the rain had stopped. Marvin and I fished with shiners and crawlers for a couple of hours with no luck. As it often happens, I was out of my element when it comes to fishing large bodies of water. Give me 5 feet of river and I can catch fish. Give me 40 feet of lake and I'm at a loss where to find fish.

So when the rain started filling our boat, we packed up and decided to check out some small creeks that flow though Wayne County.

Most of the creeks are just drainage ditches in a dry summer. We found one that I know flows rather heavy in the spring and fall. This stream has a few pockets where fish hide. So I directed my brother to use a popper to coax something out into the open. After a few small creek chubs, we ended up hooking a rock bass and small sunnies.

We'll toss that one back!



When Saturday rolled around I determined I would bag a bass with my kayak and fly rod. It was around 7:00 am when my brother and I got started. 
The temp was already hot when we got out on the water. We found shade along the east banks of the small reservoir we were fishing. I was using a small popper and Paul was using a spinning rod and lures. I caught some sunfish right away on top water. It was about 9:00 before I caught a small bass. 


   Paul did not have much of any success, so we traded rods and right away he was getting hits, and soon a small bass. With the spinning rod I just was playing games with some wary fish. I then put on a Rebel Pop-r top water lure and tossed it behind me. Around 11:00 I began to paddle back to the shore to exit the water. Then I heard a splash behind me. I lifted the pole and hooked a nice 17-inch Largemouth. It felt good to get out on the water and land a big fish.

Great morning with Paul













No comments:

Post a Comment