Tuesday, October 7, 2014

2014 Salmon run


The 2014 Salmon season has officially arrived here in Rochester, NY.  September was one of the warmest and rainless months all year. The water had been very low the last few weeks, but that did not stop the annual fish migration. I've been hearing stories of many salmon in the Genesee River.  Although I do not fish this river, it means the smaller tribs will begin their salmon run. 
With the beginning of October upon us, I found time to show Nate where he could hook up with a fish or two. It was early Friday morning when we got into the stream. No waders were required as the water was still a bit warm. We walked down stream fishing each small hole as we went. Nate pulled out a few small rainbows as I watched for rising trout. I was geared up for salmon in case we came upon any. I was not having much success. We reached the last good spot and Nate picked out a 6 inch fingerling. I figured it was time to find another location. We back tracked and I stopped to fish a hole I had passed up earlier. Nothing came of it until Nate spotted movement up stream. I could not believe it. We had already covered this area and saw nothing earlier. But there they were... three Kings were driving through the low water. When they settled in along the far shore we had our opportunity. We both felt the adrenaline pumping just waiting for the inevitable. Nate hooked up for the first time and landed a male King Salmon. I took some phone pics as we admired his catch. It was a good day of fishing.


Now with the weekend rain and night temperatures down into the 30's, cold water will rise in the creeks. These inland creeks feed the Lake Ontario tributaries we all love to fish. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice!!! Any time you can go out there and find a few fish is well worth all the effort in my book.

    ReplyDelete