Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Southern Tier Float Stocking


Today I went to Cohocton and met up with members of the TU Canandaigua Chapter, the Trout Unlimited Cohocton Chapter and the Southern Tier Float Stocking organization, a group of volunteer youth and the Bath Hatchery. It was my first time ever to stock Brown trout. We float stocked yearlings and two year old browns.


The group I am with, from Canandaigua TU, floated in rafts. The rafts were furnished by the Southern Tier Float Stocking. Roy from that group has been doing this for 14 years. Some of the TU members have stock the past six years. Being my first time I found this day to be very informative. The Bath Hatchery stocked the same amount as last year. And plan to stock again later in the Spring. All together 3300 fish were placed in the Cohocton today and 2000 yesterday.

I had chance to stock the lower section below Avoca. It gave me an idea of what the stream looks like in areas I have not fished. I will return to these places in the summer when the walking will be easier.

The Cohocton is open to fishing all year round. There were many fishermen taking fish I had just stocked 20 minutes earlier. But I guess that is what they are for. All of us had a nice day to catch Sunshine. below are some TU photos from the day.

















2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! I'd like to do that someday, but until I get a job that respects the people that do the work (wait, i'm online instead of working...oops) then i'll be working on stocking days. I don't get paid time off....stupid Kodak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob - Another great post! I love the fact that you can write, film and photograph and put it all together in a way that is short and sweet!! Really nice!

    ReplyDelete